Saturday, January 2, 2010

LIVING CONDITIONS IN THE 1800S

http://www.historyteacher.net/USProjects/DBQs2000/Images/DumbellTenement.jpg
This is a map of the Dumbbell tenement




http://www.archives.gov/research/american-cities/images/american-cities-061.jpg
Conditions of the living conditions in the 1800s













http://occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/divine5e/medialib/images/div0065.jpeg
Tenements in the 1800s








http://www.cable-car-guy.com/images/ny_9th_ave_el_001.gif
This is the fisrt elevated train opened in 1868 in New York that change the poeple living condition





https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj0VCWUjKNG7QQvJxKol5hmsyAZOYX_LTslipep2hxr70ElNRQ8Q3u28KjKjisT9Vc-LiuFq7z52DFguUkfVHUGax3xclff7M13FbSY4Z1290TgCOpobAyipW74yHunCBU1S4uYIPnu4Es/s400/1899+Blimline.jpg
This is a new inventions and a new way of live in the 1800s that help people transport




http://www.officemuseum.com/IMagesWWW/1894_Masonic_Temple_20_stories_Unity_16_stories_to_its_left_Chicago_American_Photography.jpg
This is Chicago in the 1820

LIVING CONDITIONS IN THE 1800S
When the United States got the new inventions, big business, immigrants from around the world and cities start to grow. The living conditions of citizens change for good and bad. Migration, Native Americans, and African Americans help expand, by moving from rural areas to urban. For this cause, cities start to grow and with the new railroad people start to live far away from their jobs. However, more and more people start to get crow and speculators start to built many tenements. Littler by littler people start to transform an area to live into a slum with diseases, bad conditions, and pollution. light, air, and water are the most affect from this kind of living conditions and the government decided to make the "Dumbbell Tenement". I think the living conditions of citizens in big cities such as New York or New Jersey are the worst in the country.
Many new cities were bursting at the seams with newcomers. While millions of immigrants from around the world start to come, they were looking for a place to stay and setting in the cities. Woman and men from around the country and African American help by moving from small towns to big cities, or because they just want to find a new area to live. Other were the reasons for African America too, after the Reconstruction ended in 1877, segregation and acts of racial violence against them increased 150,000 black Southerners left the South after the 5 millions of them left in 1870. I believed in that number of people that moved from the south to a nearby cities, because I hear that still in the 1800s were people abuse and discriminate for their racial color. These were many reasons why cities grew and why people moved.
Before the Civil War , cities were small in area, rarely extending more than 3 or 4 miles across. I met people that live near their jobs used to walk. However with the new inventions such as horse-drawn, carriages that travel on rails and rail roads had changed the living conditions of the citizens in the United States. For this change some companies start to allow people to move outside the cities, and live in suburbs, or residential communities surrounding the cities. Thanks to this change of lifestyle, the first elevated trains was opened in 1868 in New York. Friends of my were happy because it allow commuters to bypass the congested streets. Another new invention that change more the lifestyle of the people in the city was the cable car introduced in San Francisco in 1873.
Buildings got change too. Many people were living crow in small apartments or sharing space with another family. The demands for big buildings with allot of space grew. In the late 1850 building got taller and taller than 5 floors and with tons of rooms. As cities expanded, specialized areas emerged within them. Banks, financial offices, law firms, and government offices were located in one central area Retail shops and department stores were located in another central neighborhood. Industrial,wholesale and warehouse districts formed a ring around the center of the city. I think all this kind of lifestyle and living conditions of people living in the 1800s had change allot, I see people that their live is getting easier than before.
Speculators also built many tenements, low-cost apartment buildings designed to house as many families as the owner could pack in. A group of dirty, run-down tenements could transform an area into a slum. Trees and grass disappeared Hundreds of people were crammed into spaces meant for a few families. Open sewers attracted rats and other disease-spreading vermin. Diseases start to appear such as cholera, malaria, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and typhoid,thrived in crowded tenement conditions. Epidemics, such as the yellow fever that swept thought Memphis Tennessee, in the late 1870s. For this terrible sickness in the United States, scientists believed that lack of good ventilation helped disease spread. Light, air, and water was the most affected, and the government made the "Dumbbell Tenement" named for its dumbbell shape. Each building must to have narrowed in the middle, and gaps on either side formed air shafts to bring light and air to inside rooms. I saw many people specially parents that have small kids scared of this bad time of diseases in the United States. I think this new way of construction was a good salvation for many people. The living conditions in the 1800s were good and bad, because of new ways to make easy life and bad results of crow communities and diseases.

5 comments:

  1. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called Dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in  2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how  i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i received through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email                      drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or  / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have
     herbal cure for, FEVER, BODY PAIN, DIARRHOEA, MOUTH ULCER, MOUTH CANCER FATIGUE, MUSCLE ACHES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER, PENILE CANCER,  BREAST CANCER, PANCREATIC CANCER, CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE, VAGINAL CANCER, CERVICAL CANCER, DISEASE, JOINT PAIN, POLIO DISEASE,  PARKINSON'S DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, BULIMIA DISEASE,   INFLAMMATORY JOINT DISEASE CYSTIC FIBROSIS,  SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL  SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITIS A, B.  DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC RESPIRATORY DISEASE,  CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE,  NEOPLASMS, MENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, TUBERCULOSIS LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, DRY COUGH, ARTHRITIS, LEUKAEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr Ebhota herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was doubtful to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HPV/WART. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from WART/HPV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him drebhotasolution@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348089535482. Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he also c My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr Ebhota herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was doubtful to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HPV/WART. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from WART/HPV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him drebhotasolution@gmail.com o r whatsapp +2348089535482. Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he ure DIABETIES ULCAL CANCER etc.He also told me that he has solution for the flowing.1 Cancer cure2 Diabetes cure3 Ringing ear4 Herpes cure5 Warts cure6 HPV cure7 Get your ex back8 Pregnancy herbal medicine9 Prostate enlargement10 Hepatitis B11 Disability12 Kidney problem Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CREDIT OFFER BETWEEN INDIVIDUALS.
    If you want to borrow money between individuals serious and reliable, Our pleasure will be to help you benefit from loans between individuals if you embody the serious. With 2% interest per year depending on the amount loaned. We guarantee you a response and a deposit within 48 hours.
    Benefit from a 100% secure loan in the following areas!
    - Personal loan
    - Auto loan
    - Loan works
    - Real estate loan
    - All projects ...
    Contact:
    Eledgefinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes simplex been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr ubarlo but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr ubarlo, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after one weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up a , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer reach him through Email drubarlohome@gmail.com OR add on whatsapp +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete